March Athlete of the Month is Coach/Athlete Kirst!
The first few Athlete of the Month posts will be dedicated to getting to know the Siemens Weightlifting coaches… here we go!
I first met Kirst when I started lifting with the club, and was immediately drawn to her positivity and the intensity she attacks every lift with. She is fierce, and people pay attention when she lifts.
She’s also super knowledgeable- she has several coaching certifications under her belt and is a certified nutrition coach.
If you’re new to weightlifting, Kirst is a great athlete to watch. She is persistent, disciplined and has a LOT of fun. She gets that weightlifting is a long game, and pursues it with that in mind.
1. Why do you lift?
Continual growth, Community, Strength, the rush, the challenge, I LOVE IT!!!!!!
2. What is your favourite lifting moment so far?
Canadian Masters, having so much fun and winning best female lifter.
3. What moment have you learned the most from?
Bombing out at A&R.
4. What did you learn?
Listen to your body, fuel it to perform well.
5. What is your current mantra in life or lifting?
Show up for yourself.
6. What is your spirit animal?
Owl, I stay up late, and like to observe my environment.
7. What has been a ‘game changer’ for you in 2017/18?
Focusing on my mental game, asking for support when I need it.
8. What do you do outside of weightlifting life?
Smooch pooches, watch my chickies, watch Netflix, drive a lot.
9. What are your goals for WL this year? (Athletic or coaching)
To have more fun than I did last year!
10. Do you have any pre-competition rituals?
YES! Get my nails done, new Stance socks!